flappers + philosophers : Etro S/S 2012 & reclaiming the finger wave

I know that I don't have to explain to you, dear reader, how widespread decididly deco looks were on the runways for S/S 2012. Dropped waists. Cloche hats. Short hems, fringe galore, so on and so predictably forth...designers of all strains were definatley paying homage to the ever-iconic flapper. The above looks are part of my personal favorite interpretation cortesy of Veronica Etro.

I have to say, I feel quite past tense speaking on this subject. Not just a few runway shows past tense (we're up to Resort 2013 now) but more like 90 years past tense.
So why the sudden inspiration? Quite honestly, it's due to a combination of my lifelong love of all things jazz age related & my recent school experience with traditional wet styling. We're talking roller sets, pin curls and, but of course, the allmighty finger wave.
Typically reserved for costume parties and hollywood starlets, I think that the modernization & reclaimation of the finger wave is way overdue. It's time to bring it back to the common woman. What do you think? Is this something DIY worthy or not? Check out my first attempt at this iconic style via Instagrid :
RUNWAY PHOTO SOURCE: style.com

1 comment:

Krystal said...

i ADORE these styles. i always want to be a flapper at halloween so it's cool the style is in ;)