bookish(the rum diary)

My Dear Doctor,

I'm sorry that it took me so long to get around to reading this novel of yours. I'm sorry that the promise of a feature film is what it took to get me to finally crack the cover. You know, I probably won't even see the movie. Truly.
There was something different about this book, but something remarkably familiar. I could hear your voice steady and unwavering. Similar in tone and attitude. Somehow though, you seemed wiser through your youth. Not quite yet fully disillusioned. Still seeing the good within the human condition while deeply respecting (and fearing) the contending sides of self which we all possess. One thing is for certain though, at a young twenty-two years of age, you already had "the fear".


Sincerely Yours,
A Humble Student


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Rum Diary

Hunter S. Thompson
"I'm not sure," he replied. "But I have a feeling that I'm following a course that somebody laid out a long time ago - and I have one hell of a lot of company."
I looked up at the plantain tree and let him go on.
"You're the same way," he said. "We're all going to the same damn places, doing the same damn things people have been doing for fifty years, and we keep waiting for something to happen." He looked up. "You know - I'm a rebel, I took off - now where's my reward?"
"You fool," I said. "There is no reward and there never was."

1 comment:

Ren- Lady Of The Arts said...

I think we are going to go see it this weekend- super excited- I am a huge fan of Hunter's
I wrote this post about him and his work:

http://ladyofthearts.blogspot.com/2010/11/hunter-s-thompson-buy-ticket-take-ride.html