diy(southern belle sweet tea)

I don't really know why I threw "southern belle" into the title. It seemed both appropriate and catchy. I have lived in this region of America my entire life (Louisiana to Georgia to Texas) and although I am sure that they have sweet tea elsewhere in the nation, I would like to think that ours (and particularly mine) is the best. The process itself is pretty basic and I am pretty sure that everybody and every family has a different recipe. This particular way just happens to be the one that I use personally and feel as though I have perfected. The tea comes out tasty and refreshing every time. I typically make sweet tea by the gallon and the measurements in this recipe reflect that.

Supplies Needed:

1. 1 Cup of Granulated Sugar
2. 3 Iced Tea Bags (I grew up drinking, and recommend using, Luzianne)
3. Spoon
4. Pitcher (1 Gallon)
5. Small Saucepan
6. Water and Ice
1. You are going to start by first removing the pesky little tags from the top of the tea bags. Do this by holding firm the little staple at the top of the tea bag and pulling the string loose. I usually try to do this in one, quick motion to avoid undoing the staple. Check the fold security of each of the tea bags after you have done this. There is nothing worse than to see flakes and pieces from opened or busted tea bags floating around once your start cooking.

2. Next, fill your small saucepan with water and crank up the heat. Medium to medium-high heat is recommended. Add the tea bags to the water.

3. As the water gradually heats, occasionally dunk the tea bags down into the water with your spoon. Be gentle while doing this. Like I said before, nothing worse than a busted bag and the warmer that they get, the more fragile they become.

4. Once the water reaches a boil, remove the saucepan momentarily from the burner. Use your spoon the gingerly fish out the tea bags. Be careful because they will be very hot. I usually toss them into the sink to allow them to cool before disposing of them for good. Return the saucepan to the burner and allow for the tea to regain some heat. Once it begins slightly boiling once more, stir in the 1 cup of sugar. Continue stirring until you feel that the sugar has fully melted into the tea. Remove the saucepan from the burner for good and turn off the heat. At this time, fill your pitcher a little less than halfway full of water.

5. You're almost done. Over the sink, pour the tea from the saucepan into the water already in the pitcher. Use your spoon to stir everything together for good measure and add ice to the pitcher to bring up the water level and to cool the tea further.

6. Enjoy!

Store the tea in the refrigerator or enjoy immediately. Sweet tea is a great beverage to enjoy during a meal or all on it's own.

2 comments:

April said...

Sweet tea is my favorite drink on the entire planet!

LCR said...

so... I've ALWAYS wanted to visit the south and take part in all this southern-belle goodness. think I'd fit in, even tho I'm Canadian:)
xo
L