diy(sea salt hair spray)

Summer is the perfect time for easy and carefree hair. Heat and humidity makes it difficult to keep up with a high maintenance hair-do. For year after year now, surf inspired and "beachy" hair has been a consistent and highly attainable hair trend no matter how far away from the coast you are or how limited your budget may be.

Supplies Needed:
1. Filtered Water
2. Sea Salt
3. Spray Bottle with Spritz-Style Nozzle
Optional Add-Ins: Conditioner, Essential Oils, Hair Gel, Smoothing Serum, etc.
1. Start by adding filtered water to a small sauce pan. How much water you use will determine how much sea salt to add. The "rule of thumb" is 1 teaspoon of sea salt per 8 fluid ounces of water but this is flexible depending on how "salty" you want your spray to be. I personally used 1.5 cups of water and 2 teaspoons of sea salt.
2. Heat water over medium-low heat and add in the sea salt. Stir until salt is dissolved.
3. Once sea salt is dissolved, now add in your optional ingredients while continuing to stir. I personally added in about a teaspoon of conditioner and a few drops of hair smoothing serum that I happened to have in my bathroom cabinet.
4. Turn off heat and and allow to cool once all of your ingredients look to be fully dissolved. Continue to stir occasionally while everything cools.
5. After cooling, pour fluid into your spray bottle. 

To use: Shake bottle before each use. Sea salt spray is a great way to add texture and easily style hair. My favorite way to use this spray is when I'm feeling kind of lazy and don't feel like actually doing my hair. I like to spray liberally over "second day" hair, scrunch hair with fingers and allow it to air dry. Occasionally, I will spray my hair, twist my hair into two low buns, secure and allow to air dry. After hair is dry (or nearly dry), I undo it and comb through with my fingers.

14 comments:

Katie said...

When I saw the title I literally thought you used water from the sea (I'm so stupid!) And I was thinking "Aww, the sea near me is a yucky shade of brown so I cant do this" Then I read the post and felt very stupid indeed. I'm very glad you didn't use any water from the sea so I can do this in the comfort of my home, woo! I hope the weather is better over there too :)
xxx

Brissa said...

ah yes! thank you for the little tutorial. i've been meaning to look for a good diy sea salt hair spray recipe. i can't wait to try this out!

Ren- Lady Of The Arts said...

great idea-

Julie {love, julie} said...

this is genius!!

lenoracle said...

Great idea! Especially for kind of curly/wavy hair like mine (that always looked better after swimming in the ocean and air drying). Now I am not around any oceans, so I'll definitely have to try it. Haha.

Kallie Anna said...

i'm definitely trying this! thanks for the tips :)

Kaisha said...

You always have the best DIY beauty products! I just wrote this one down and put it in a safe place for my summer! Hope you're well x

Mo Pie, Please said...

I let half my hair get wet while swimming in the ocean and I totally had the perfect waves afterward. So amazing.

April said...

I'd like to see the results of this on you! Fun tutorial. :)

Krystal said...

this is such an interesting diy thing to make! i really like the idea, thanks girl!

AlbeeLucky said...

Thanks for sharing this DIY. Will diffidently have to try this.
xo-AlbeeLucky.blogspot.com

Gabrielle said...

I'm going to try this! excellent

xx
ilikeitfast.blogspot.com

samnhal said...

This is such a cool idea. My hair is naturally wavy, so I'll have to try this out, especially on my out of control 2nd day hair.

leigh said...

Oooooooh! I must try this! Can we see a picture of what it does to your hair?!
<3 leigh